Tuesday, August 13, 2013

On love and loss

Isn't this the cutest picture ever?? Joy & CS Lewis
Lately I've been reading A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis in order to prepare for our next book club meeting (tomorrow!).

We recently watched Shadowlands - a movie essentially about Lewis's love life.  In it, we watch him fall in love with an American woman, Joy.  We see him find a perfect companion late in life, and eventually marry her.  Much to their dismay, they soon realize she is dying of cancer.  It is a movie that documents Lewis's personal life and shows him in a fragile state as he loses the only woman he loved.

This movie was created in response to Lewis's book A Grief Observed.  Originally published under a pseudonym, this book was comprised of his personal journal notes after Joy's death.  It shows the real, raw emotions that evolve after losing a spouse.

I must admit, I had to stop reading it after the first chapter because I kept putting myself in his place and thinking how I would feel if I had recently lost my spouse.  I couldn't take it!  I felt captivated by his words, yet terrified of the reality that one day this too could be my emotions.  Death is impeding for us all - a dismal thought for this bright, sunny Tuesday morning, I know.

Once again, I look forward to the promise we have in Christ.  I long for the eternal life where there will be no pain and no suffering and no more death in the presence of God.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - John 11:25-26 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment