Monday, July 29, 2013

A Grumpy Girl and her Dufflepuds

While my ever-so-supportive husband tells me constantly to not let my circumstances affect my mood, it happens. Especially this weekend.

My circumstances totally affect my mood.  I get scared when there are gunshots outside my house (like Saturday night), I get angry when my neighbors scream at 2 am (also, Sat. night), I'm annoyed when neighborhood kids climb my fence (Sun. afternoon), and I'm dumbfounded when I watch someone rob my neighbors (Sunday night).  These things affect me.

So when I woke up this morning, and things were looking brighter (literally..the sun was actually shining and I didn't stay up all night hoping the cops would wrangle up every single neighbor causing problems), I was excited.  It was going to be a better day. I was even inspired to wake up early to work on some writing before heading into work for the day.

BUT, of course things don't work out the way we think they will in our half-dream state, do they? My husband (who is sick so there is at least an excuse built in there) wanted me to sleep in a little longer with him. Then I lost some things I needed to work on my Etsy site (ZwytePaperDesign). Then I left - an hour later than I wanted - and got to Starbucks WITHOUT my wallet! Ugh.

Back home I headed, grumpier than ever as my free morning slowly dwindled away.  By the time I got back I barely had 20 minutes before I had to go to work.  So I figured I may as well not totally waste the morning and read a little bit to calm my frazzled nerves.

Of course I am still in the midst of the Narnia books, so I began my reading in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a grande white mocha americano in hand and the sun beaming down on me.

Yes, this was going to help.

I came upon the section about Dufflepuds. How could I not cheer up reading about these little guys?  While quite frightening in their invisible state, their silliness in demeanor and stature brought a smile to my face as they became visible when the spell was broken.

They are described as "one-footed men [who] got about by jumping, like fleas or frogs" with a single, large foot in which they sought protection under as they slept upside down.  Their stupidity is evident as the magician describes them "planting boiled potatoes to save cooking them when they were dug up" and "moving all the milk out [of the dairy]" when a cat got in instead of simply "moving the cat."  I laughed aloud as they showed their simplicity and bounced about the chapter.  I felt like I was beside Lucy as she watched this scene unfold.

And just like that, I was cured of my grumpiness.  The dufflepuds - along with a little sunshine and coffee - brought me back to an unfrazzled state and it was time to head to work with a better mood and a hilarious scene of dufflepuds fresh in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment